Monday 20 June 2011

appropriation and other inspiring things

The most inspirational thing I've read all week: How to steal art like an artist and 9 other things nobody told me.

I wish I could read something like this everyday, maybe then my motivation to succeed in University would stick. Or my motivation in general, as the case may be.



On a similar note (to the blog), I think appropriation is one of the most fascinating forms of art. My Year 12 folio was on appropriation. I know many artists hate it, though. I can understand that. But for me? I see such beauty in these amazing reworkings.
                  "Appropriation is another significant Postmodernist idea. The thought being that if nothing is original, then why not just steal shamelessly? Pastiche, collage, deliberate reworkings of reworkings of other people's words, art and ideas. Appropriation is an important historical practice in art-making, in which the artist uses a previously existing form, image or sound in new ways. The creative effort is defined by the inspired selection and manipulation of found materials. The end result is a strangely familiar, yet an altogether new creation." Cut&Paste: Appropriation Art




by: Wijee

No comments:

Post a Comment